Justification for consolidating similar systems
(12) The term "regular", with respect to an enlistment, appointment, grade, or office, means enlistment, appointment, grade, or office in a regular component of an armed force.
(2) The term "commissioned officer" includes a commissioned warrant officer.
(15) The term "pay" includes basic pay, special pay, retainer pay, incentive pay, retired pay, and equivalent pay, but does not include allowances.
(16) The term "congressional defense committees" means— (A) the Committee on Armed Services and the Committee on Appropriations of the Senate; and (B) the Committee on Armed Services and the Committee on Appropriations of the House of Representatives.
(9) The term "rating" means the name (such as "boatswain's mate") prescribed for members of an armed force in an occupational field.
The term "rate" means the name (such as "chief boatswain's mate") prescribed for members in the same rating or other category who are in the same grade (such as chief petty officer or seaman apprentice).
(11) The term "Defense Agency" means an organizational entity of the Department of Defense— (A) that is established by the Secretary of Defense under (as in effect before October 1, 1986)) to perform a supply or service activity common to more than one military department (other than such an entity that is designated by the Secretary as a Department of Defense Field Activity); or (B) that is designated by the Secretary of Defense as a Defense Agency.